WinHex is a universal hexadecimal editor, particularly helpful in the realm of computer forensics, data recovery, low-level data processing, and IT security. An advanced tool for everyday and emergency use: you can inspect and edit all kinds of files, recover deleted files or lost data from hard drives with corrupt file systems or from digital camera cards.
* Disk editor for hard disks, floppy disks, CD-ROM & DVD, ZIP, Smart Media, etc * Native support for FAT, NTFS, Ext2/3, ReiserFS, CDFS, UDF * Built-in interpretation of RAID systems and dynamic disks * RAM editor, providing access to physical RAM and other processes' virtual memory * Data interpreter, knowing 20 data types * Editing data structures using templates (e.g. to repair partition table/boot sector) * Concatenating and splitting files, unifying and dividing odd and even bytes/words * Analyzing and comparing files * Particularly flexible search and replace functions * Disk cloning (under DOS with X-Ways Replica) * Drive images & backups (optionally compressed or split into 650 MB archives) * Programming interface (API) and scripting * 128-bit encryption, checksums, CRC32, hashes (MD5, SHA-1, ...) * Erase (wipe) confidential files securely, hard drive cleansing to protect your privacy * Import all clipboard formats, incl. ASCII hex values * Convert between binary, hex ASCII, Intel Hex, and Motorola S * Character sets: ANSI ASCII, IBM ASCII, EBCDIC, (Unicode) * Instant window switching. Printing. Random-number generator. * Supports files >4 GB
- Refined volume snapshots supersede drive contents tables
- Dynamic filters based on filename, deletion status, file type category, ...
- GREP syntax for physical and logical simultaneous search operations
- Searching logically in multiple evidence objects at the same time now easier
- File preview mode available when reviewing search hits
- Evidence file containers allow to pass on selected files forensically to other examiners